Sunday, May 2, 2010

Communication = Trust

In every aspect of life, it is imperative to communicate with others - openly, clearly, and delicately sometimes. With your spouse you share your joys and daily triumphs as well as your concerns and daily struggles. Holding these conversations help you to understand each other better AND you will be able to help each other learn and grow. Often times my husband listens to me ramble about something and he provides a different perspective for me to consider. This has helped me become more of a global thinker and I've learned to contemplate things more completely before forming an opinion and making a decision to take action on things. Forming opinions too quickly can lead to eating your words later and regretting what you said. I've discovered that taking back words is NOT easy!

This is one reason we need some type of armor ready when people say hurtful things to us. "Grow some thick skin" my dad always said. In the workplace, communication between co-workers (and between boss and employee) must be present so that you know what to expect of each other.

With God, we should communicate daily (actually, we should never cease praying!) I try to turn my radio off and talk to God on my way to work each morning. This is difficult sometimes because my first instict is "I wonder what Kidd Kraddick (insert your favorite radio personality here) has to say this morning...something funny and entertaining I'm sure." I've noticed a difference in my daily walk with God when I turn the radio OFF and listen to HIM instead.

So how does Communication equal Trust? Being completely open and honest with someone builds trust. When we hold back information or present it in a manipulative way, we are hurting our relationships in the long run - this actually makes us less trustworthy. I have experienced this first hand in many different kinds of relationships. I have been the one who cannot be trusted (unfortunately) and I have been on the other side as well - not knowing who I can trust. Neither feeling is good! I hate myself for not being completely trustworthy in the past, and I resolve to become someone that others can rely on and feel comfortable talking to.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree and have been guilty of the same thing. Though, I have learned that no matter what the outcome, honesty is the best policy.

    However, communication is tough sometimes, which is why if you practice it in your marriage or any relationship it only makes that relationship that much stronger and wiser.

    ReplyDelete