Friday, May 21, 2010

Life is a Balancing Act

There are so many things we must balance in life...so I decided to list some of them out.


  • Balancing Love and Discipline (and giving natural consequences)

  • Balancing Work and Family

  • Balancing your different circles of friends

  • Balancing Service to others with your Personal time (when/how to say "no" when you have too much on your plate already)

  • Balancing Empathy with Advice (when to stand up for something and when to be quiet and listen)

  • Balancing Intrusion and Concern (all about gossip)

  • Balancing Diet and Exercise

  • Balancing a Laisse-Faire attitude with Structure

  • Confidence vs. Arrogance

  • Trust vs. Skepticism

  • Your Future: Taking Risks vs. Letting Go and Letting God take care of things
  • Worldly vs. Godly

Let me expound on the last one - Worldy vs. Godly. We should take delight in learning about the world around us, discovering our heritage, history, and the creatures that inhabit it. However, Romans 12:2 says "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- His good, pleasing, and perfect will." I'm still working on finding the balance between enjoying the world without conforming to the way society wants me to think about things.

Society says, "Be sexy by wearing these types of clothes/makeup/jewelry and be as skinny as possible because that's what is sexy." God says, "Do not worry about what you wear or eat." My interpretation: Our focus should be on things that MATTER - things that affect our future and our eternity. Our role, as women, is to help our men live for God - not tempt them into sin.

Society says, "Movies, TV shows, and media in general can promote any type of behavior and language they want to." God says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth."

I'm not saying I'm "above" what society promotes - I fall into the trap like everyone else! But I try my best to remember how Jesus would act and follow His example.

1 comment:

  1. K-K,

    I really like and connect with this one. I understand how it's hard to not get caught up in the "following" of our society and how we all need to look outside of that and ourselves to truly see what is important in life.

    You are very right about the material things in life not being what "matters", but that spirituallity, personal relationships, and to better yourself as a whole is what truly matters.

    I really like this reflection.

    ReplyDelete