Monday, May 6, 2013

The Great Counselor

I'm currently reading Francis Chan's Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit.  I love reading about the power of the Holy Spirit and learning more about Him.  It's the one part of the Holy Trinity that is most confusing for us, I think.  Maybe because it's not tangible and we have trouble picturing it.  We picture God, the Father, on a throne.  We picture Jesus, the Son, dying on a cross or preaching to a crowd.  It's very interesting to me how Jesus prepared His disciples for receiving the Spirit before He ascended to Heaven to be with the Father.  Even though the Spirit was always in existence (just as Jesus was) in Old Testament times, we are introduced to Him in the New Testament as something "new." 

In chapter 3, Chan lists some great Bible verses that show us who the Holy Spirit is and how He works in our lives.  "The Counselor teaches and reminds us of what we need to know and remember.  He is our comforter, our advisor, our encourager, and our strength.  He guides us in the way we should go."  (Chan, p. 74)  Below are the verses that support this truth, along with some of my own thoughts. 

Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing. (Psalms 143:8, 10 NLT)
 
Placing your full trust in Him may be difficult at times, because we like to have control over our lives.  However, trusting will lead to a firm footing as He guides you and teaches you.  I'd much rather have a firm footing with His help than walk along a really rocky path on my own!

Jesus said, "I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:1, 2, 5 NLT)
 
Are you experiencing a season of hardships?  Do you feel like God is teaching you some tough lessons?  Just remember that the pruning is necessary for us to produce more fruit!  The process is never fun, but it leads to great reward.  Just last Sunday, my pastor spoke of the battles we endure in life.  They're inevitable.  Using Kelly Clarkson's words, "what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger!"

That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.” But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. (1 Corinthians 2:9, 10 NLT)
 
Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome. For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God. (1 John 5:3-5 NLT)

The last verse gives me hope that the worldly evils we face are defeated for us if we remain faithful. "Worldly evils" come in many shapes and sizes.  The first thing that comes to mind is sickness and disease.  It makes us weak and vulnerable; it can turn our outlook from positive to negative in an instant.  But what about things such as STRESS?  (Work stress, financial stress, relationship/family stress, etc.)  What about WORRY?  (Dwelling on the possibility of something going wrong.)  What about PEER PRESSURE to dress, act, and speak a certain way around those we call our "friends"? (aka Keeping up with the Joneses)  Comparing ourselves to others (and juding others) is part of Satan's plan of attack.  I encourage you to keep God's commands so that you will achieve VICTORY over these evils through faith.



No comments:

Post a Comment