Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Top 2 New Years Resolutions

Well, my Christmas Countdown didn't make it all the way through December. I'm not quite sure what happened. Oh yeah- life. But today I have a spare moment to sit and reflect, and make some new year's resolutions.

2013 started with a great morning! My son slept in, which allowed me to sleep in. I woke rested and ready to take on my little world. As I tooled around the kitchen making breakfast with Robbie in his high chair, I turned on some Praise & Worship music and sang till my heart was full. I raised my hands in praise at one point and Robbie mimicked me. I then vowed to do that every morning. (Resolution #1) What better way to start our day and instill in my son the importance of, and desire to, worship?

One song that came across my Pandora station was Word of God Speak, by Mercy Me. And Resolution #2 struck me. I must make time to sit and read God's Word daily. There is no better way to find peace than sitting in God's presence, talking to Him and waiting patiently for Him to guide me and pour out His love, mercy, & strength on me. "My soul and flesh cry out for You, the Living God. Your Spirit's water for my soul..."

After finding a weekly Bible reading plan and getting started, I'm so motivated to see this through! I look forward to seeing what amazing things God has in store for me on this journey.

I have more resolutions on my list (eating healthy, getting more exercise, etc) that are very common and cliche. But these two are my TOP priority. They go hand in hand. Making time to be in God's Presence is not always easy or popular. We make excuses that we're just too busy...but then we turn on the tv instead of opening our Bible or bowing our heads in prayer. My husband and I made a bold move a few months ago- we cancelled our cable. We now only have network channels (with no DVR) coming from a digital antenna. And we only have one tv in our house. We have enjoyed playing with our son, chatting and catching up with each other once he's in bed, and picking up a book when all is finally quiet. Like the good old days.

My point is this:
I vow to stop making excuses, and I will make my relationship with God top priority. Relationships cannot be developed if we don't have two-way communication, and God communicates to us through His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment