Thursday, January 24, 2013

24 days and counting....

I've made it (almost) all the way through January upholding my resolutions!  Granted, often times breakfast is accompanied by cartoons instead of Praise & Worship...but we definitely turn on the radio at some point in our day...and that station is always first on my list.  But, friends, let me tell you about that other resolution I had (opening my Bible every single day) ....  WOW. 

Words cannot express the amazing things God has already taught me in 24 short days.  Of course there are days that I open to the next reading passage on my list and grumble a little bit under my breath.  "Isaiah?  Really?  What in the world is all this prophesy stuff?  How does it apply to me?  I'm not a history buff....this doesn't make sense.  It's repetitive, too."  Then at the next opportunity I have, I'll open my Idiot's Guide to the Bible or Joyce Meyer Everyday Life Bible to see what the experts have to say about Isaiah.  Boom!  All of a sudden, I'm overwhelmed with clarification and encouragement.  It's pretty darn cool.

The funny thing is that I had my mind set on completing each daily passage and moving on to the next day's passage from this Reading Guide I found (which I love!!) in order to read the entire Bible in a year.  Well.....God had other plans for me.  I soon realized that if I wanted to fully understand, dig deep, and STUDY God's word- because reading and studying are totally different things- then I would need to slow down a bit.  The awesome thing about this reading plan is that it breaks the Bible down into 7 different genres, and you read from a different genre each day (or every 2 to 3 days if you're like me.)  To check it out, click here:  Genres Bible Reading Plan

I'm also trying to journal daily "takeaway" thoughts from my reading- and this journal is a great place to list prayer requests too.  I love being able to look back and see what God was teaching me a week ago and how He has been at work in my life- answering prayers or just being present in the situations I've called upon His help.


No comments:

Post a Comment