Saturday, January 28, 2012

New Mom, New Perspectives

Wow, I haven’t blogged since before Robbie was born! What a crazy ride I’ve been on. I’m not here to type all about what it’s like to become a mother – some of you have been there and you know how it feels; others of you would not be able to understand or relate. I’m typing today to pour out my thoughts about the new perspectives I’ve gained recently BECAUSE of the fact that I’m a new mom. This blog is used for sharing my experiences and opinions about life on earth as a woman of God.

Right after Robbie was born, life changed. I became solely focused on providing for his needs….and this is exactly what is supposed to happen…..to a degree. I took the advice of others and tried to take some “me” time and my husband and I would go on date nights. These short-lived events would let us catch our breath and re-connect with each other, and life was good.

Little did I know that my looming state of exhaustion would have such an affect on my emotions. Clouds were darkening behind the scenes of my soul. It’s like Satan was pulling me further and further off course without me realizing it. Life was still good and I enjoyed every minute I had with Derek and Robbie after work and on weekends, but my attitude about everything else stunk! I kept holding a pity party for myself….the poor working mom who can’t seem to get it all together. Something had to give.

What kept me going? “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord. “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) I started dreaming of a better future. (Maybe one that included quitting work and staying home.) We all know the “grass is greener”….but dreams are all about a glimmer of hope that just maybe the grass truly is greener! Hence the word: DREAM.

Anyway, let’s not dwell on the past. Basically, two things happened that pulled me out of the funk. I started working out again (Yes! Endorphin Rush!) and I reduced the number of times I nursed each day. The combination of these events threw me into a state of “hyped up on Mountain Dew” energy and a “rose-colored outlook on life” over night. Seriously! I never knew that working out had that much of an impact on my emotional state! (And I didn’t know that my body was working so much overtime as it was producing food for my baby.)

After this 7-month roller coaster (because Robbie Mac turned 7 months yesterday!) I have a few new perspectives about life:

1. The mind/body connection is REAL so get those endorphins going, people!!
2. News Flash! Family and friends exist for the sole purpose of supporting one another. (That was God’s intention for creating this thing called relationships.) So if you ever find yourself in a bubble/isolated/feeling alone in the world/not wanting to get out of the house/needing an intervention – then get on Facebook and create your own intervention party event and invite everyone you know that might be the slightest bit interested in helping out a friend. Believe me, it will work.

:)

1 comment:

  1. Katie, you are doing so much! You go girl! I wanted to share my 2 cents with you...I agree, it does feel hard sometimes, and sometimes it does all work out, everything makes sense, and you have all the energy and possibility and you feel like God is working through you. And sometimes when it feels like it doesn't, that's part of God's plan, too. We may not understand why at the time, but just breathe and trust and know that you're not alone, and things may seem impossible, but all make sense later. Even failing makes sense.
    Having a baby is a major life change, lots of stresses, and just when you think one part of your life is easy, your baby grows some more and has new needs. Life is so complex and so beautiful at the same time. Sometimes I think that even the ugly and painful parts are beautiful because it shows how your life is full and meaningful. Imagine a hurricane, storm,etc. These are God's creations and part of his plan. You just happen to have your eyes open all the time (I think this happens when you have a baby-- you get a sixth sense) and sometimes see more than others--

    ReplyDelete