Thursday, February 14, 2019

Jesus and Jazzercise

I have been dancing with Jazzercise for almost 14 years!  Granted, there were many in-between years that I had to "take off" to raise my babies and balance motherhood/family life with working full time.  Seasons come and seasons go.  For example, my teaching career was put on hold for this season, as my family needed more of me.  I will always be passionate about Education, as that is where my training, experience, and expertise lies.  I will always have a heart for students, teachers, and parents that come together to do what is best for kids.  However, in this season of my life, God has called me to shift my focus elsewhere.  He called me away from the classroom and into the Dance Studio.  

I have taken full advantage of my new "job" as stay-at-home mom.  I am diving into cooking, cleaning, planning playdates, giving 100% to my kids during homework time after school.  But I am also choosing to take better care of myself and my health.  I re-joined Jazzercise in August and I am more addicted than I've ever been!  Something about the uplifting music, the awesome instructors, and the DANCING just puts me in a good mood.  It's the only workout that I've ever been motivated to stick with.  Which is why I've decided to become an instructor myself!  The last few weeks have taken some major endurance, discipline, and many hours of practice.  Audition Day is quickly approaching.  Luckily, I've been blessed to work alongside some amazing people who have been a tremendous support and encouragement (shout out to Adrienne, Rodney, Claire, and Taylore!)

All this to say - Southlake Jazzercise is one of my new "homes."  Obviously, I consider my own family my very first home, and I have a church family that is becoming "home" as well.  You've probably heard the saying, "Home is where the heart is."  My heart beats for lots and lots of things.  It beats for Jesus.  It beats for my loved ones.  It beats for friends, acquaintances, and just people in general.  And in this season of my life, it has been beating stronger and stronger for the Advocacy of Mental Health.  Friends, I'm typing to share with you today that the MAIN reason I workout is for my Mental Health.  Yes, my physical health is just as important, I know.  But if any of you out there are struggling emotionally or mentally, I encourage you to DANCE.  (Or go for a walk, a run, or go to the gym, or go to your favorite class.  You can fill in the blank.)  For me, that blank is Jazzercise.  Physical fitness helps us balance the other areas of our lives that create all that dreaded stress.



No comments:

Post a Comment