Thursday, October 13, 2022

No Worries!

Do you ever find yourself texting a friend back and saying "No Worries!"  Maybe they had to cancel a lunch date and this is your response.

We've all done it.  We give our friends grace, because we know how much they have on their plate and we want them to know that it's OK if they drop the ball on something.  (Because I'm over here balancing a full plate too, and I drop the ball DAILY.)

But what happens when you need grace for yourself?  Do you give it freely - to yourself?

When all the "worries of the world" stack up on your plate, what do you do?


“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:33)

     These are red-letter words in your Bible, which means they are Jesus’ words.  Not King David, not Paul, not Matthew or Mark.  Jesus himself is preaching, and he is saying “Do not worry.” Close your eyes and imagine that you are face to face with Jesus. He is holding out his hands to you like he is inviting you in for a hug. As he hugs you with the most tender touch, he whispers, “Don’t worry.  I’ve got you.”  But that’s not all he says.  He points you to your Heavenly Father.  And he says, “Seek first his kingdom.” 

    What does it mean to seek first his kingdom?  Start your day with Him, even if it’s a quick one-sentence prayer or listening to worship music on your way to work. Seek His counsel- through scripture- and pray for wisdom before calling a friend.  Go to him in prayer before doing anything else.  And when all the worries of the world become too much, prayer is where we find the peace that passes understanding. 

    Time and time again in my own life, I have tried searching for peace in other things and grasping at other people (loved ones or friends) to help me find it.  I unload my worries on others and then feel bad when I find out that they are dealing with something way more worrisome than my little personal load.  Have you been there?  We are all dealing with something, and there are worries around every corner- for every season of life- no matter how young or old you are. But Jesus says, “Don’t worry. I’ve got you. Just seek Me first."


Prayer:  Father, I praise You and thank You for all the blessings in my life. They are too numerous to count. But, Lord, I also have worries, and they seem insurmountable some days. So today, I lay my worries and burdens down at the foot of Your cross. Holy Spirit, come.  I need your tender embrace today. Hide me under the shadow of Your wings and be my Rock and my Redeemer. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment