Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Puppy Training 101

In October of last year, we lost our beloved Luka- our two-year-old Border Terrier. The shock of his death rocked my world and totally shattered my kids. My son had trouble sleeping, my daughter would break out in random tears, and I could not shake the Replay of images of the horrific event.

It wasn't long before we started researching dog breeds and talking about getting a new puppy.  After we all agreed that a Giant Schnauzer would suit our family well, the research for breeders began.  I thought we would be put on a waitlist and I was prepared to wait for months.  To my surprise, I found a breeder with one male puppy available.  He would be ready for adoption in 3 weeks! We excitedly discussed options for his name, and the kids had fun making his nametag at Petco.  I mentally prepared for all things TRAINING: potty, crate, obedience, etc. 

Sweet little Maximus arrived the Thursday before Spring Break.  He is precious, and he immediately bonded with me while the kids were at school.  He follows me around the house and plops down to lay his head on my feet.  He loves to be close to his new momma.  When he's not able to get to me, he cries.  It's like having a baby all over again.

And it got me thinking.

What a great picture of how we should be with our Heavenly Father.

Wherever He leads, we should follow.  We should plop down at His feet and find our comfort THERE.  And nowhere else.  We should cry out for HIM, and nothing else.  We should long to be with Him, near Him, and we should look to Him for our provisions.  Because only He can provide everything we need.

Yesterday, I read 1 Kings 17 - a story about Elijah.  God ordered him to flee and fast.  God told him that He would provide fresh water from a brook and ravens to supply all his food.  Elijah obeyed, and God followed through with His promise.  What an amazing picture of obedience and sole dependence on God.  Elijah had to trust that God would provide his daily sustenance.  Don't know about you, but in my book, that takes a huge amount of faith.

I've been diving into Psalm 119 (The Message Version) and there's a theme that tends to repeat itself.  I've collected some of the verses that I highlighted throughout this, the longest, chapter in Psalms.  Can you find the pattern?

Train me in the ways of wise living.
Build me up again by your Word.
Grace me with your clear revelation.
I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me;
I'll run the course you lay out for me if you'll just show me how.
Give me an appetite for your words of wisdom.
See how hungry I am for your wise counsel.
I cherish your commandments- relishing every fragment of your counsel.
I set your instructions to music and sing them as I walk on this pilgrim way.

Train me to live by your counsel.
Train me in good common sense.
Train me in your goodness.

Let those who fear you turn to me for evidence of your wise guidance. And let me live whole and holy, soul and body, so I can always walk with my head held high.

So as I continue my Puppy Training today, I am reminded that I am still in training.  And I never want to lose that zeal to seek the Lord and follow His ways and His will for me.  I want to grasp and cling to Him just like my new little puppy is clinging to me today.  

I pray that you never stop seeking His counsel.





No comments:

Post a Comment