Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Art of Losing Myself

Today, I scored some free time - a long morning all to myself! - because Robbie is at school and Reese is hanging with her GheeGhee and Poppy.  As I pondered what I would truly love to do with my time, my first instinct was Mani/Pedi and Shopping!  Mommy Pampering!  But then I considered our family budget, and I decided that those activities simply wouldn't honor my husband or the Lord.  So after a good Jazzercise workout, I ended up at Starbucks with my Bible Study and laptop - sitting outside, enjoying a beautiful day.  I've decided to put off my earthly desires (pretty nails and new clothes) and hang with Jesus this morning. 

I love losing myself in the presence of our Almighty King.  As I've been studying the book of Hebrews, I've learned about the superiority and accessibility of Jesus as our High Priest.  Hebrews 1:3 says, "The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command.  When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven."  Then in verse 17: "Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God.  Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people."

I love this song by Hillsong United:
"Your will above all else, My purpose remains.
The art of losing myself in bringing You praise.
Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades!
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame!
In my heart, in my soul, I give You control.
Consume me from the inside out!
Let justice and praise become my embrace
To love You from the inside out!"

Society promotes selfishness.  We're bombarded daily by ads that promise their product will make us feel better, look better, or improve our life somehow.  Then when we attain that "one special thing" and we still feel empty...where do we turn?

Jesus, our High Priest, promotes humility.  When we decrease our selfish desires and increase our faith in Him, incredible things will happen.  His perfect love drives out fear and gives us strength.  I challenge you to forget about all your earthly desires for just one day; take this day to focus all your thoughts on the lyrics above.  I've attached a YouTube video of this song as well.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment